Advanced Capability Analysis
part of the Agile Pain Point Solutions (APPS) series
February 12, 2020
Trainer: Andreas Bartel
Advanced Capability Analysis
Learn to collect the right metrics to help you negotiate a balance between demand and capability.
Organizations often measure the wrong things. Often convenience of collection or a misunderstanding of what really drives organizational performance leads organizations to measure the wrong things, take the wrong actions, optimize meaninglessly, and leave lots of potential on the table.
When we talk about capability, we need to talk about it in a relevant way meaningful to the customer. You may not think you have a ‘customer’ – but work requests for you and your team or service come from somewhere. Who is the customer, what do they ask you for, and what are their expectations about the level of service?
After this course you will be able to:
- collect the right metrics to assess your own capability to meet the expectations of ‘customer’ requests
- demonstrate the impact of your improvements or changes to policy and processes
- apply feedback from capability metrics to improve results ‘customers’ care about
APPS: Advanced Capability Analysis (21% VAT inclusive)
If you or your employer have a permanent office in Spain, and you work in that permanent office, then VAT must be collected.
APPS: Advanced Capability Analysis (VAT exclusive)
If your company is not registered in Spain or does not have a permanent establishment in Spain VAT is charged at 0%. You are required to provide us with your tax reference number and company details, so we can produce a 0% VAT Invoice. Those who are self employed must provide proof of registration in their country of residence. email@example.com
Who Should Attend?
- Scrum Masters or project managers with an opportunity to take more responsibility for accepting customer requests and delivering finished work to their expectations
- Middle managers like directors of professional services or operations wanting to see tangible benefits for their investments in improvements, agile transformation, or training
- People responsible for results looking for better ways to measure the impact of their decisions
There are no specific prerequisites for this class. This class perfectly follows Kanban Systems Design to prepare you to implement Kanban specific practices for managing flow and better informing your feedback loops.
- Understanding Customer Purpose and describing it
- Understanding Design, Implementation and Service Delivery elements in a product or service and developing the skill to describe and categorize them accurately
- 4 Types of metrics: Fitness Criteria/KPIs; general health indicators; improvement drivers; vanity metrics
- Learn how to correctly classify them and set thresholds, ranges, targets or cultural and organizational goals to eliminate the need for unnecessary metrics.
- 4 Commonly recurring fitness criteria: Lead time; Quality; Safety & Conformance; Affordability/Price
- Bette Balanced Scorecard and/or OKRs using the lessons learned
- Discussion: Insights from today’s lessons. How will Fit for Purpose affect how you run your business? What will you change? How might you integrate the ideas with things you already do? What are the actionable, pragmatic ideas you are taking away and intend to implement?
The Agile Pain Point Solutions (APPS) Series is collection of 1-day classes that cut straight to the challenges people have been reporting to us for over a decade. Offering simple, yet powerful answers, each class gives you new skills and insights with which to address an aspect of Agile adoption that is poorly addressed in conventional literature.
“As a business, we measure the wrong things and our culture isn’t suitable for Agile adoption, how can we fix it?”
“We struggle to write small, fine-grained requirements, can you help us get better at it?”
“Prioritization is painful, time-consuming and stressful. We have a huge backlog. Can you help us get better at prioritizing?”
“We struggle to scale Agile because of dependencies. How can we identify them earlier and manage our capacity better? Dependency management feels like ‘Big Planning Up-front’”
“We aren’t good at estimating; can you help us get better at it?”
Are these familiar problems to you? Do you find your Agile advisors lay the blame with you? If only you followed established guidance better, harder, with greater diligence and intensity, then all would be well? The answers to these challenges always seem to be more elaborate, detailed, intense, and frustrating – big expensive meetings, more and more collaborators to coordinate, more detail, more complicated equations, more-and-more time: it all feels like you are going backwards, further and further from true agility.
For years, Kanban University has had truly elegant solutions to these problems, but they haven’t been easily accessible – buried inside our Enterprise Services Planning (ESP) 5-day training. Now, we are making these Agile Pain Point Solutions (APPS) available in easy to consume 1-day classes, specifically to address the problems and challenges our customers have been reporting to us for a decade. If you are a product owner, or involved in Agile planning for your organization, then the Kanban APPS series will give you the skills to be successful and to deliver true organizational agility.
Kanban University® Certification: Students will receive a certificate of completion recognizing participation in the class.
Cancellation Policy – Please Note:
With the goal of always delivering the most current and relevant content to students, please note that the class agenda, contents and schedule, are subject to change.
Substitutions are accepted at any time. Cancellations must be notified by email and refunds will be provided according to the following:
More than 10 days prior = 80% of course fee
5 to 10 days prior = 50% of course fee
Less than 5 days = no refund provided
The David J Anderson School of Management reserves the right to postpone or cancel this event if there are insufficient registrations or if presenters are unable to attend due to illness. If necessary, you will be notified no later than 7 days prior to the event and all registration payments will be refunded promptly. If circumstances require, presenters may be substituted for alternative qualified presenters with equivalent experience.
Please be advised that events can be subject to changes in date and/or venue due to acts out of our control such as bad weather, civil unrest, etc. It is recommended that you purchase changeable and refundable tickets. The David J Anderson School of Management will not be responsible for incurred costs in the event that we need to make changes due to circumstances beyond our control.
For more information, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org