Accredited Kanban Consultant Masterclass
“I’m a consultant. I want to lead successful client engagements, helping them improve service delivery and achieve better customer satisfaction. Teach me how to be successful with Kanban!”
“I’m an internal corporate coach or manager. Our organizational culture is better suited to evolutionary change. I’ve been asked to lead a Kanban implementation. Teach me what I need to know that I won’t easily find in the textbooks, blogs or conference archives!”
This leadership & coaching masterclass is for consultants, coaches, change agents, managers and Kanban practitioners who want to take it further. Spend 5 days with pioneer of Kanban, David J Anderson or another highly qualified Accredited Kanban Consultant. This workshop is limited to just 12 people. Achieve the educational requirement for the Accredited Kanban Consultant credential from Kanban University.
This masterclass is ideal for anyone tasked with leading a change initiative in their organization or at a client organization in the next year.
Instructor: David J Anderson
The focus of the masterclass since 2009 has always been the same: the outcome we seek is educated coaches, consultants and managers with the mindset, knowledge, and tools to lead successful Kanban implementations. Over the last 6 years, the curriculum has evolved, with an increasing emphasis on the soft skills of managing change, leading an initiative and knowing which tools in the Kanban and Enterprise Services Planning domains to deploy in order to go around or overcome the inevitable objections that create inertia to adoption of new ways of working. The latest curriculum focuses on evolutionary change, fitness for purpose, a deep understanding of The Kanban Method, evolutionary adoption via Proto-Kanban implementations, service-oriented organization design, all of our consulting tools, and our risk management module from ESP used to give your organization a common language for understanding work, by applying some logic to the problems of selection, sequencing, scheduling, capacity allocation, hedging and achieving flow.
We strongly correlate Masterclass attendance with successful Kanban implementations. Alumni of the Masterclass regularly deliver institutionalized adaptive capability, a culture of improved service delivery and continual fitness for purpose. The course is taught with a great many anecdotes and vignettes with real world examples that teach coaches a new way to see the psychology, sociology, social psychology, politics and organizational dynamics of change. Students will participate in a series of group exercises analyzing case studies from the field. Coaches should leave with a new way of thinking about leading change and implementing Kanban, and membership of a new social group of like-minded peers all pursuing similar challenges. Some attendees, have described the class as “life changing”. The model for understanding why people resist change gives them a new way to look at life, at the people in it and the social group dynamics they experience in every aspect of their life.
“David’s approach to training is truly unique. I now have a different lens to view my team’s upstream work, current work in progress, and deeper knowledge on how to communicate risk without disrupting the flow of changes throughout the organization. What David has created with his, Modern Management Framework, is a revolutionary way of thinking for an evolutionary way of change.”Jay Paulson
WHAT IS COVERED
- Psychology and Sociology of Change: Understanding the psychology of change will help you successfully introduce the Kanban Method, and help build a culture of continuous improvement in your organization.
- Advanced Topics: This course goes beyond material covered in the “Kanban” book and the curriculum of the Kanban System Design (KMP I) and Kanban Management Profession (KMP II) classes. The focus is on leading and coaching Kanban rather than scaling it. For those who want to understand large scale, enterprise Kanban, we recommend the Enterprise Services Planning classes. The coaching includes Step 1 of the STATIK method, also covered in ESP module III – Understanding Fitness for Purpose – and exclusively includes Step 8 of the STATIK method – Negotiating and Implementing a Roll-out Plan.
- Answers to the hard questions: The small class size, the focus on case materials and the pragmatic, actionable nature of Kanban guidance means you go back to your workplace with techniques you can apply immediately apply. The intimacy of the class and the experienced nature of your fellow attendees enables you to develop your network enabling a new source of answers to your hard questions. Real face time with David Anderson gives you the opportunity to get your personal questions and workplace challenges answered.
- Consulting Tools: Friday of the class is dedicated to our consulting tools: Depth of Kanban Assessment Framework; Kanban Litmus Test; Kanban Appropriateness Appraisal; Developing a Custom Risk Assessment Framework; Service-oriented Organizational Design; Learning to see services to make “kanbanizing” an organization easier and more natural; Deep understanding of the STATIK method inlcuding Step1 – Understanding Fitness For Purpose – and Step 8 – negotiating buy-in and agreeing a roll-out plan.
“The guided interactions with David and the rest of the class brought Kanban to life for me. The experience enabled me to view Kanban with the passion and depth that are necessary when working with those that are new to it.”Alan Atlas
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Sustainable Schedule: The course will be delivered in 4 hour segments each day. The class will meet for 4 hours in the morning, have a long break in the middle of the day, and reconvene for 4 hours in the late afternoon. This enables time to absorb the material, as well as have free discussion with other kanban practitioner participants. If the participants prefer, the break time can include the playing of kanban games and simulations, kanban tool demos, or other activities.
- Low Class Size: The intent of limiting the workshop to a maximum of 12 attendees (typical attendance is around 8-10 people) is to have an interactive collaborative session designed to facilitate knowledge sharing and learning. Attendees should come prepared to discuss their own experiences with Kanban and challenging situations they’ve faced with change initiatives at clients or employers
- Practical Knowledge: The goal of the Masterclass is to enable participants to go back into the field and successfully coach change initiatives for improved service delivery using the Kanban approach. Every workshop is different because of the unique experiences of each participant and their specific focus and desired outcomes.
“As the lead for Deloitte LEAN, a service offering dedicated to helping technology workers excel in their craft, I can speak first hand to the influence David’s class has had on how I have conducted numerous large scale organizational transformation initiatives”Jeff Anderson
KU ACCREDITED KANBAN CONSULTANT
The Accredited Kanban Consultant program offers a professional credential for people coaching Kanban for organizations. The coaches may be embedded within organizations or they may be independent consultants.
Accredited Kanban Consultants (AKC) are recognized and endorsed by Kanban University as highly qualified to help organizations apply the Kanban Method for greater success.
AKCs successfully coach change initiatives for improved service delivery using the Kanban approach.
Qualify to be an Accredited Kanban Consultant
An AKC must satisfy all of the following requirements:
- achieved the Kanban Management Professional (KMP) credential
- achieved the Kanban Coaching Professional (KCP) credential
- attend the 5-day KU certified Accredited Kanban Consultant Masterclass (or legacy Kanban Coaching Professional Masterclass)
- 6 months verified experience in a Kanban initiative
- Written essay submission
- AKC Panel interview
- one-time activation fee
AKC Program benefits
- Authorization to use the AKC letters and badging
- Recognition on the Kanban University website Coaches directory
- Access to private AKC-only forums for professional collaboration
- Invitations to exclusive events worldwide plus participation in ‘Ask an AKC’ coaching sessions
- Communicates to employers and clients the most advanced qualification in coaching with Kanban
“This Kanban masterclass has helped me to deeply understand the Kanban Method, with a more organizational and management point of view. Advanced topics such as change and risk management, and other models have been covered, which makes it complementary to David’s Kanban training class.”Laurent Morriseau
All attendees will receive an automatic invitation to future Kanban Leadership Retreats – our series of exclusive 2-day/3-night “consultants’ camp” format open space events for advanced practitioners and leaders in our community.
Alumni of the Masterclass gain access to a peer group who are the most experienced Kanban practitioners and coaches around the world. Attending the masterclass gives you a common language to share your thoughts and ideas and get suggestions and answers for your biggest professional challenges.
Many Masterclass alumni return to take the class again. If you have taken the class before, contact us for a discounted rate, usually 50% off. We strongly recommend attendees of the former 3-day class 2009-2013 and the 5-day class 2013-2015 return for a refresher. You will find significant developments in the curriculum.
“His teaching style is engaging and practical. His material is rich with real world examples. And the caliber of fellow attendees, and the conversation that engenders, is phenomenal. David and his team are on the elite short list of Lean-Kanban trainers around the globe.”Jon Terry